Dear Joseph,

Thanks for taking the time to email me.

SP> I was getting the good wishes in early because I'll forget later!

Very sweet of you, but don't worry, I'll go on vacation leaving wishes
to all.

SP> I know the spammers are getting cleverer (or updating their technology
SP> together with everyone else).   If you've had spamming on this address for a
SP> long time it was most likely picked up from the site, if it is more recent
SP> the number of ways of getting it have and are increasing, as others have
SP> pointed out.

I think that Amanda's last email may have helped me solve a bit of the
problem.

SP> Also these days they test all sorts of possibilities which might match a
SP> .com or other site name;   it costs them very little to send out millions
SP> that will never go anywhere in the certainty that some of the mock-ups will
SP> land.   Presumably some success is achieved in selling, unless spam is
SP> mostly sent out by suckers buying lists in  the million for 'ten bucks a
SP> go'!!

This is very true.  I get a lot of emails with names that aren't even
mine.  (Another topic to be read and discussed : how do emails that
are not properly addressed arrive in your mailbox?)

SP> I know if I had a list that bought from me I would guard it better than the
SP> Royal Family gets guarded!!   So I reckon most spam lists are culled and
SP> invented, not developed.

I know about those.  They are very hard to manage.

SP> I have two webmail hosts;  both are themselves hosted on 'horde'.   One
SP> comes with my website from 34sp.com (10 addresses).   The other is
SP> www.vfemail.net;  Rick seems to be always around and on hand to answer
SP> questions, and my account is free!   I can't speak for any of the other
SP> webmail accounts.

I have wanadoo.fr, which is my French ISP.  And I don't use that
email. I have my domain, butler-online.com, which is hosted at GoDaddy...for the
moment.
I use aliases.

Now that Amanda seems to have figured out my problem, which is really
fantastic, I just need to find a solution.

Unfortunately, it may just be changing my "basic" email every 3 months
to get rid of the spam demons, or paying to sign up with GoDaddy's "private
whois", either way, it just not fair.

All my best,

Elisa

P.S. I asked you about the TSL because, in general, most erudite
people always seem to know a lot about teaching English.  That's all
;-)