David, I told the CGN person that perhaps the buzzword overload was for SEO.
He said no. He said their clients don't use search engines to find them.
They get clients via word of mouth. Yeah, right. I'm too skeptical to
swallow this, but don't mean to offend them either.

Actually, it's quite true. A lot of consulting assignments are won by word of mouth. Most assignments with a new client occur because we have been recommended to them by another client. So you might ask why consultants need websites. I think that websites are an excellent way for consultants to offer proof, usually through testimonials, of their expertise in specific areas, to support proposals for new business. I don't think that they are as useful in describing methodologies and approaches nor in getting an initial interest from new prospects.

One difficulty is that a standard methodology only gets tailored in response to each client's needs when an assignment begins, so a consultant's website tends to present the full methodology - or at least the diagrams with the big arrows in them. It may be better if a consultant's website guided the prospect through to an answer that would present the prospect with an outline approach to their actual needs. But, for some reason, consultants seem not to take this approach.

Regards,
David

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.