Just to follow up...  I had meant to mention earlier that there are
quite a few /benefits/ to fixed width layouts.  While you noted they
seem inflexible, until we get a bit better CSS support from IE (namely
min-width and max-width, which will enable us to blend fluid and fixed
width layouts a bit more freely), they're actually a boon to
usability:

http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/3S/layout.htm
http://www.humanfactors.com/downloads/feb03.asp

The basics of it being that shorter lines are easier for people to
read. I'm not dyslexic, but it's still sometimes easy for me to lose
my place in the midst of reading lengthy texts with longish lines... I
can only imagine how crapulent that must be for people with genuine
disabilities (even relatively minor ones like dyslexia).

I'm fairly sure the 'mobile boxes' you're refferring to are actually
DHTML (JS, CSS and HTML) layers which are being positioned relative to
the viewport.  Interestingly enough, this is a really just a hack for
the CSS2 property 'position:fixed', which does the same thing in
browsers that support it, but without the annoying bumping around you
describe.

 - Stephen