Riva asked:
My client wants to put sermons on his website as a sound file and as
text. What format should he put the sound file in? Any advice on how to
do this?

Tim responds:
I know a lot of church sites do this with RealAudio, but personally I'd
suggest using MP3 format...it's very cross-platform in support, and
usually will play without [questionable] additional software.  If all a
site offers is RealAudio, I go away fast, and I don't let my kids play
there either.  :-)

MP3 ought to compress nicely for voice-only.  Getting to MP3 from the
microphone can be done in several ways...many churches tape the services
and the tapes can be played back later and recorded into the computer.
I think I'd try going straight from the sound board into a PC's sound
card, though, and just recording it live to WAV format, and then convert
it to MP3 later, avoiding the inevitable tape hiss and noise.  With a
little playing around (assuming you already have a sound board and a PC
to record with) you could probably kick out the MP3s for free (i.e. use
Windows Sound Recorder and some freebie format converter).

Tim
Tim Furry
Senior Systems Administrator
English Language Acquisition/Planning, Assessment and Research
Denver Public Schools

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ''