-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Harris [
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 10:26 PM
To: wdvltalk@lists.wdvl.com
Subject: [wdvltalk] Is this site good?

I would not want to copy it, but I was impressed by some aspects of
www.barrym.com (don't ask why I visited it) and particularly by the floating
shopping basket.

Would you agree this is good design?

Joseph Harris

_
====================================

What do you mean by a good design?

Will it work for the audience it's aimed at? Probably so. Got good content.
If I wanted a new neon kohl pencil, I'd like to see the shades. Having a
model holding a pencil to her eye wouldn't help much. Nice to know there are
4 new brushes for mascara and what they look like. Can't say the neon nail
paint colors overly impress me. But the site does what it should -- shows
the products in a forthright manner. Most likely a good compliment to other
media ad campaigns and BarryM's reputation (whatever that might be). Colors
work. Flash is useless as usual.

Technically, it's interesting. CSS is well used. The h1 tags do group
according to subject matter, for example, and are not used for font size
effect. But since there is no doctype, it's wasted effort. Plus there are
popup windows and fixed font sizes galore. Text scaling produces strange
results as a result. And of course the entire thing is a tabled layout with
all the issues that brings to the fore. Good work in a bad framework.

drew