Matt,

> A few years ago, I setup a web-based event management system
> that emailed clients when they had booked.  It was hosted in-house
> and the connection was a BT openworld ADSL line. Because AOL had
> recieved SPAM from the BT Openworld IP block, all emails sent to
> clients with AOL addresses were bounced back, and we then had to
> send them manually.

Sounds like either (a) AOL were blocking mail.btinternet.com, or (b) you were
using sendmail or Exchange or something like that at the client's site, sending
directly via SMTP, and AOL were blocking you.

(a) seems unlikely to me as I used Openworld for several years and never had a
problem sending to AOL, but even if it was the case then a request from one of
the millions of their users who wouldn't have been receiving mail from BT
should have sorted the problem out.

If it was (b) and you were in BT's standard
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.btopenworld.com netspace then I'm not surprised the
messages didn't reach AOL; they would have been refused by many other networks,
including ours. Not many admins will accept email from an SMTP server located
in the middle of a DHCP pool for residential broadband users, as the
probability of this mail being anything other than spam from a compromised
machine is vanishingly small.

If was (b) but you were paying BT for a business-grade connection and static
IP, you may have been the victim of a SPEWS-type escalation. The logic behind
this is that in the beginning, only the IP belonging to a spammer is blocked,
but if the ISP refuses to cut them off them the blocks increase to cover more
and more of their address range. I have no idea if AOL use this type of
blocking, though.

Whatever it was, hope you got it sorted out :-)

> The best bet, as has already been mentioned, is to get some sort of
> filtering software.

The *best* bet is to run your own server, where you can have whatever blocks
you like. For those who don't have the time, money, equipment or inclination to
do this (running a mail server 24/7/365 is a fairly big undertaking,
particularly as you need at least two of them to do it properly), client-side
side filtering is a very effective solution.

BTW, junk email is "spam", not "SPAM" (it's not an acronym for Smutty Product
Advertising Messages or anything like that). The uppercase version is in fact
the name of a tinned meat product made by Hormel - read all about it at
http://www.spam.com/ci/ci_in.htm.

Cheers
Jon

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ''