Hi Matthew,

Because your forte is development and not design, I would use a CMS like
Joomla and purchase a template.  While I don't typically recommend Joomla,
it will let you setup a forum that is seamless with the rest of the site as
well as setup more features than any one of us would ever need.

For most, using Joomla is like drinking from Niagra Falls!  But since you
have the developer chops, it's perfect fit.

As far as templates go, I recommend http://www.rockettheme.com/  I've used
one of their templates, Versatility III, and it was very well done.

HTH,
Will Stewart
--
Stewart and Company