What people might be misunderstanding is my motivation here... There
are hardly black-and-white choices, and when an engineering/business
decision has to be made, it's usually for a particular situation.
While the tone might have been a bit harsh, I'm not saying
appcelerator sucks and nobody should ever use it. It's just that based
on my experience, it is useable (with caveats) for very limited
applications. OpenLaszlo does almost exactly the same thing, but as
it's from 5 years ago, it uses tech that was all the buzz for serious
web apps back then - generates flash from a Java backend, and the
flash does the dynamic stuff from XML files you can 'code'.
Appcelerator just adapts this to the present day buzz (replaces flash
with JS widgets, uses HTML+AJAX instead of flash reloading XML files
for the client side logic, instead of LZX markup language you have web
expression language, etc). So *IMO* nothing revolutionary there, still
the same (questionable) concept, still looks cool, still hard to
develop, still hard to maintain, still has a strong lock-in, still a
lot of untransferrable knowledge, and that is why I don't see
appcelerator succeed (on a large scale) where OpenLaszlo had failed.
But then again, I'm still earning my first million bucks, so maybe
it's just me who doesn't get it ;)

With regard to toolkits - yes, we should use anything nice that fits
our paradigm, but don't shift a paradigm to fit the tool (which is
exactly why I don't think much of Silverlight and kin). If there are
parts of Appcelerator that could be used to improve web2py, Massimo
should use them by all means, but know your stuff, make conceptual &
engineering and not buzz choices.

Take for example, in my case, PHP. Nobody argues that there are a lot
of excellent sites done in PHP, huge userbase, a lot of development,
frameworks, etc, etc, and yet, I *feel* there is no way I'm going back
to PHP. Why ? PHP was good for doing simple stuff quickly. All the
libs in one place, everything is global, you could make a dynamic web
page in 2 minutes, and that's what drove LAMP to success. On the high-
end, there was no question that for business app, you would use Java.
As time progressed, web sites got more complex, and PHP itself went
the way of more complexity, object orientation, templates, frameworks,
soon namespaces. And here is the catch - in the process of migrating
upwards on the business ladder, it just became too unwieldy (for me).
The simple sites PHP was good at simply do not exist any more, and all
the cruft from the age when quick and dirty was all the rage makes it
cumbersome for the large ones (although as we can see the inertia is
pretty strong, so PHP is still in high demand). Enter web2py. Python
is just so much more elegant and more suitable for development of both
system and web applications that when teamed with a nice framework
(who said web2py ? :) it becomes my new 'ideal choice' for modern
small-to-medium scale web apps. Simple (enough) and Powerful (enough).
After a month with Python I didn't want to loose time with Perl again.
After a month with django and web2py I didn't want to loose time with
PHP (with Zend, Cake and Seagull) again. Do you see where I'm going ?
You can do anything in almost any of these tools and languages
(appcelerator and openlaszlo included), it's just the question of
effort (which translates to money in a business environment), and I
feel the sweet spot for effort for today's web apps moving *away* from
PHP and into the land of web2py and it's kin.

Of course, you might disagree with my points above, they are just
opinions, anyone can (and should) have them. As for bias, I know I'm
biased, I tend to get biased towards things that make my engineering
sense purr and generally make my life as a programmer easier :) I'm
sorry if I stepped on any toes, it wasn't my intention, just wanted to
share a few thoughts, sorry again if it got too rant-ish.