noobpythoncoder

You asked:

"I Iike the tight MVC paradigm, security, and other good practices
built into web2py, but sometimes I wish there was a way to more
quickly prototype the front-end, eg test the functionality of SQLFORMS
in different views from a user experience perspective, without
worrying about this matching the controller side so much at that early
development stage."

I am interested in how you are defining your different views and using
SQLFORM.  Are you just changing css or are you accessing the form/
record data directly?

Would a simple way of referencing different views be to pass a
"view=viewA.html" param to the controller under test and include ...

if request.vars.form: response.view=request.vars.view

... in the controller?