Defining the problem is part of the task;  prototyping can help clarify /
validate;   the preliminary part I don't think requires client knowledge of
technology, nor consultant/company knowledge of client problem - it is a
discovery phase, which is equally important when you _think_ you have a
grasp of what is needed.

There is no one "right" or "best" strategy, but a bagful...  but one thing
common is "rapid prototyping", or mockups, _and_ effective listening (that
is NOT jumping to solution - a common engineer's behavior, necessarily: we
are those who solve, after all)  are all part of it.

In terms of web application solutions, malleability of "look", presentation
to user is something that helps delivery (underlying business logic is
perhaps the most stable component of a solution, evolving rather than so
much changing;  we seem to have the DB / backend part in pretty good shape).

Proposed engineering adjuncts / solutions like Appcellerator I think need to
be evaluated in the light of how well it serves the engineering needs as I
outline above, particularly support of effectively being able to iterate as
client needs are better understood & discovered through a process.