On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:

> I do not like the idea of things moving out of the wiki and never
> coming back. Things will always need small updates and that it
> critical.

Small updates can happen in Wiki;  when stable, they can happen in Sphinx I
think this is no problem - sphinx can always be updated; it just will not be
the same way as a wiki.

> We can start with that but then we need to build a web interface
> directly to the sphinx docs.

This will be some challenge, since sphinx builds indexes and cross
references on entire doc... you will be rebuilding all indexes with any
edit?

Aside from the technical challenges, this then will not be documentation in
the form of a book, which stabilizes, gets reviewed, etc.

I think if you want a wiki for everybody to easily contribute their
learnings, then a wiki is fine.

If you want dependable, readable, consistent documentation, like many, many
other projects do - Python not the least of them, then what is the basis of
what you "do not like"?

In any case, I am not for this.   There are some interesting possibilities
to live sphinx, but even then, the concept of submitted vs. reviewed vs.
published changes is (in my mind) important, and differentiates this in a
fundamental and important way from a wiki.

A wiki is useful and important;  it is also quite different than a document.

I am not interested in participating in degenerating a form - whose aim is
to generate a reliable, consistent, readable document - into a printed
version of a wiki, although you can do that (I just am not interested).

People like your book because you _owned_ the contents, even with the
contributions of others, and that meant a consistency which made it
readable, consistent and therefore useful.

If you want a wiki, then you don't need sphinx - google searches over wiki
pages will suffice.

I am interested in the document concept, and think a wiki is a good ground
for tilling the material which stabilizes into something worthy of being
part of a coherent form (not to diminish by any means the utility of what is
in a wiki - it just is a different form, and a different result - it is also
more accesible to contributors, and that is good).

We have had this discussion enough times.   Wiki away.  I will contribute to
the wiki too at times.

Let me know if you're interested in the process of creating a community
written book; in that I would be more interested.

Regards,
Yarko