Datapoint: I have been studying and playing with web2py for several
weeks now.

Attractions:

 - Python.

 - Appeared to be simple.

 - Claimed to scale.

First reactions:

 - I think I finally understand list comprehensions!  (Spending a lot of
time trying to understand how to write pythonic code and not just C with
picky indenting.)

 - Indeed, it seems simple.

 - I am still expecting it scales, but have yet to prove it to myself.

 - The name is, um, lacking.  Until I read the "web 2.0 for python"
mnemonic I couldn't remember whether it was web2py or py2web.

  - Nice people!  Mostly I have been pecking away on my own, but today I
have been plowing through the mailing list and I am struck at how
constructive and nice everyone is.  It makes me think web2py must be
friendly software, too.  (Please, don't degrade to a list where every
question is answered with a curt reply that is nothing more than a URL
and the clear implication that it was a stupid question.)

 - I have climbed out on an obscure limb of a non-mainstream tree in a
quiet end of the forest.  If web2py turns out to be a "secret weapon"
with which to work magic, cool.  If it surges in popularity, even
better.  If it turns out to have been an approachable training ground on
which to wrap my head around the model/controller/view paradigm, all for
the day I am forced to move on to something better known...well, it
seems it will have been worth it.

 - I bought the book on lulu, and it was both necessary and worth it.  I
printed a copy that has been well used, and I keep a copy of the pdf
open for searching.

-kb, the Kent who doesn't know if his studying will help him find a job,
but is it good use of his time unemployed anyway.