I just took a look at this thread.

 > Chameleon is a generic byte-code compiler for attribute template
languages

This is not web2py templates.  It supports Genshi and ZPT because they
are "attribute template languages".  By contrast, a web2py template is a
"text template language".  The difference is that ZPT and Genshi
templates must be valid XML and the template control commands are XML
node attributes.  Thus Chameleon is not compatible with web2py templates.

I use Genshi on web2py, and it works fine for me.  For the frequently
accessed and infrequently changing pages, I use caching to great
effect.  Also, my Genshi rendering module uses caching to load templates
and is on par with web2py templates after the initial load.  But this is
only for my production environment.

@Iceberg: I suggest setting up a development install of web2py that is
never compiled and have your production install run compiled and/or
cached templates.  I would also suggest generalizing some of your
controller code and pulling it out to a module, this would speed up
controller execution too.  The only downside to this is that you'll have
to restart web2py to pickup on module changes.

-tim

--
Timothy Farrell <tfarr...@swgen.com>
Computer Guy