I am wondering if there are some deeper issues getting NoSQL support in
Web2py -  for instance the model part seems pretty tied into relational
ideas (e.g db.define_table and ..references db.dog etc). This design works
really well and insulates developers from much of the fiddlyness of dealing
directly with relation db's quirks, but the ideas themselves are clearly
relational.

The other big DAL issue would be joins..but I guess integration with GAE
has covered that to some extent (tho it looks like GAE can kinda fake a
join with referenced properties...might be able to do something like that
with Mongo, but not for all other NoSQLs).