I said *messed up* just to use part of your sentence.
With referenced table, if you used the default ondelete attribute of the
field, every "child" record gets deleted as soon as the "parent" is deleted.
You can't fetch the data drom sqlite, it's definitely gone. For goods.
The fact that the sqlite file is still "large" is because by default SQLite
doesn't "release" the space: it keeps it for future records.