I don't know where the script was tested on. Header reports centos 5.

My approach on the ubuntu script is to install uwsgi is retrieve the
dependencies and let pip compile it, then run uwsgi in emperor mode. This
scrips follows a different path but it's not that different.

The issue you're describing as "get me the binary" is non-existant. If you
want to use the script then you have to follow its lead. If you are not ok
with it, just install everything you prefer.
If you installed a minimal distro for whatever reason, you're going to
suffer the "assumptions" made from who probably tested this script in a
non-minimal environment.

PS: these are the prerequisites for compiling uwsgi
yum install python python-devel libxml2 libxml2-devel python-setuptools
zlib-devel wget openssl-devel pcre pcre-devel sudo gcc make autoconf
automake

Try installing these and then re-running the script. I assume that adding
packages at the start of the script would fix the issue "working on
full-install" vs "not working on minimal"