Are you using the redmine script or the script of Niphold?

I use to compile stuff because the ubuntu packages are not up to date. I
think the better you version you can have with the ubuntu package was
Redmine 1.4.3, and with my script you get the latest stable 2.2.0. I had to
compile rails because there were a security issue with the ubuntu package
and if I remember ruby was the ubuntu dev package to get the a decent
version of Ruby...

Compiling is not a big deal.

Richard

>>> https://github.com/web2py/**web2py/blob/master/scripts/**