well, the underlying problem with this architecture is that on / apache
rewrites internally from /whatever/whatever2 to /whatever/whatever2 on the
default instance. From this standpoint, the default behaviour of web2py is
tuned "accordingly" to what apache is doing.

On /dev/ apache rewrites internally /dev/whatever/whatever2 to (I suspect)
/whatever/whatever2 on the dev instance.

But, web2py doesn't know that apache has done an internal rewrite, and
apache doesn't rewrite outcoming urls accordingly .
Unless you play a lot with rewritecond or proxypassreverse, the better way
is informing web2py in advance that every /whatever/whatever2 url needs to
be outputted as /dev/whatever/whatever2 , so you get a consistent behaviour
client-side ....
you have to play with your routes.py on the dev instance to make it behave