> w2p does not know this - I was using proxypassreverse to make
> modifications to the
> link on the way back.

Watch out ... proxypassreverse rewrites eventually only headers (i.e.
redirects), not the urls embedded in your returned webpage.

>> Unless you play a lot with rewritecond or proxypassreverse, the better
>> way is informing web2py in advance that every /whatever/whatever2 url needs
>> to be outputted as /dev/whatever/whatever2 , so you get a consistent
>> behaviour client-side ....
>> you have to play with your routes.py on the dev instance to make it
>> behave "accordingly" to what apache is doing.
>>

> Hmm...this results in more differences between the dev
> version and the test version than I had hoped.
>
> There seem to be quite a few posts in various places
> on how to get w2p working with apache/mod_proxy,
> often via a link such as hostname/web2py - it seems
> that such scenarios should have the same problem.

it would be a lot simpler to map http://host/prod and http://host/dev to
two instances.
Also because, e.g., if your prod instance mounted on / replies with a
"redirect to /dev/index" hoping to catch that request too (e.g. in a dev.py
controller), in your architecture the latter would be catched by the dev
instance, so there's "no sandboxes" around

That's why usually you see in deployment two architectures:
- www.host.com/ and test.host.com/
- host.com/appname/ and host.com/appnametest/

but not a combination of both ... it's not impossible, it's just more
complicated to set up and must "watch out" for possible problems.