I don't want to have to approve all registrations, but I want to be able to
control when people can register (basically just because you have a gmail
account doesn't mean you can sign in and use the service).  The web app i'm
creating is being rolled out to specific people in a controlled manner so I
need this capability.  I was thinking about having some sort of "secret
early access token" that if you know lets you register before it is
completely open to all users.  I liked having the social log in with
Janrain, but having control over when people can register is more
important.  Also I do want to have people fill out some additional
information after the initial Janrain log in.