@Massimo - First of all i'm a new web2py user and I'm really enjoying it so
far.  The only problem I've had so far is I did my database design in a
traditional sense before fully understanding the web2py DAL limitations and
had to redesign things to fit (no compound keys for example).  Overall
great job and keep up the awesome work.

Regarding this post, from my perspective I like the default auth behavior
and think you just need to integrate Janrain better.  The only real
difference here is that instead of maintaining credentials locally, you let
Janrain handle it (also it's one less password for users to remember).  So
when registering I imagine you would authenticate via Janrain and then
redirect to a registration page that lets you collect additional info for
the user if desired (possibly prepopulated via Janrain).  Log in would be
modified then to somehow verify that the user has already registered before
accepting the Janrain token.  If the user hasn't registered (even if
Janrain accepts their credentials) you redirect to the registration page.
 Obviously the forgot password functionality would disable automatically.

@Anthony - As I said I'm new to web2py and some of the built in stuff is
still a black box to me.  Could you point me to where the auth code is?
Also if I enable Janrain the "register" button disables and I'm not sure
where that behavior comes from.  Thanks for your help.

Dean