> @Anthony - As I said I'm new to web2py and some of the built in stuff is
> still a black box to me.  Could you point me to where the auth code is?

In order to use Auth, you have to do:

from gluon.tools import Auth

which indicates that the Auth code is in the Auth class within the
gluon.tools.py module:
https://code.google.com/p/web2py/source/browse/gluon/tools.py#843.

For Janrain, you do:

from gluon.contrib.login_methods.rpx_account import use_janrain

So, that code is here:
https://code.google.com/p/web2py/source/browse/gluon/contrib/login_methods/rpx_account.py
.

Also if I enable Janrain the "register" button disables and I'm not sure
> where that behavior comes from.

In the
use_janrain()<https://code.google.com/p/web2py/source/browse/gluon/contrib/login_methods/rpx_account.py#131>function,
 auth.settings.actions_disabled is set to include 'register'. In
fact, you don't want to re-enable this because users are automatically
registered the first time they log in with Janrain. You don't want to
expose the standard register action because that allows setting a password.
Instead, you probably want to direct users to the 'profile' action (or some
customized version of it) where they can fill in their name, etc. (some of
the social login services may already have filled in the name).

Anthony