> I actually find that latter easier to process. The parentheses and & make
>> it easier to see there are two separate conditions, and the != and > are
>> easier to pick out and comprehend than "is not" and ".isGreaterThan()". A
>> non-programmer may have an easier time with the more English-like version
>> (assuming they happen to speak English, of course), but I think it's
>> reasonable to expect even novice programmers to understand the basic
>> boolean operators. Whatever your opinion on the "beauty" of one over the
>> other, though, surely this doesn't justify the massive undertaking of
>> building an ORM, particularly since you would still have to know and use
>> the underlying DAL syntax in addition anyway.
>>
>> Anthony
>>

> Again:
> There are both performance AND memory benefits to using "is not". An
> object-id check is much faster that an equality check, and having the same
> object referenced by different names instead of having copies of it that
> need to be equality-tested, may save tons of memory.
> But if you insist in using an ugly form, than in my example you may still
> do that - it would work just as well - while having the same
> memory-footprint benefits, just not the performance-benefits. :)

OK, then, again:

If you're talking about building queries, your point is moot -- the
operations happen in the database, not Python. As for comparisons in
Python, in web2py, you wouldn't be testing equality of a whole
object/record -- typically it would be a scalar (e.g., the integer ID). And
you wouldn't have multiple copies of records in memory either.