For me it has been very worthwhile to learn the DAL because it abstracts
away most of the problems of switching databases.  However,  I believe it
is still of fundamental importance that we can see how it maps into SQL.
The idea of adding an ORM on top of DAL is one abstraction too far for me.

My experience is that the further your data travels from home (the DB) the
more difficult it is to manage.  It somehow reminds me of taking the plates
off the table and spinning them on sticks.  It looks spectacular and clever
at first,  but of course the smallest problem makes them all crash.

I believe that this link summarises many of my thoughts in a nice readable
way:
http://seldo.com/weblog/2011/06/15/orm_is_an_antipattern