What is the currently suggested way of using pytest/nose in web2py?
This current thread is of a WIP script, and I have already seen better
approaches,
I've seen aome pytest-like and/or nose-like tests of web2py itself within
it's folders, and there was a comment in the shell-script that this should
work in both nose and pytest.
I've also taken a look at many implementations of devising environments for
testing in web2py.
But these seems to be quite a lot of diereses-fragmentation on this issue...
The most promising option I found was the one in the old web2py_utils
project, but it's really old and this project seems to have died a long
time ago... right?

It seems that there is a growing need for a centralized place presenting a
canonical way using nose/pytest and devising an optimal environment for
testing using them. It should also be pythonic, and not a shell-script one
might accidently stumble across... Or a corpse-of-a-project that one might
find himself arrive to somehow.... Or some varied fragmented
experiments diapered around...

Where is the "ggod stuff"?
Where is the "best-practice"?
Where is the "batteries-included"?

This should be trivial, nowadays, and be well documented in the book or
somewhere... The web-interface-doc-test is not a viable option for
large-scale applications - it is more and more becoming considered as
un-profetional to treat doc-tests as an option... They should reserve their
original purpose - making sure you don't document your code with buggy
examples.... But that's it....

As for the standard-library unittest/2... It's almost mid-2013 -  let's
move along, shell we?
But even for that, there should be some centralized documentation of a
canonical practice...