You see what I mean?
I had no idea about this thing...
And that is after about a full week's worth of time of research.
This is very telling I think, and is exactly my point.

I hate to be the 'nagging' persona here, but really, my problem is not
about 'working out a solution". My problem is the wild-west reality I have
been facing while researching this.

Is web2py.test in the book?
Where should I have 'stumbled' upon it?
How is it that I have managed to miss it completely?
I ran searches in the book, in this group for the keywords "nose", "pytest"
"py.test", "testing", and the like, as well as some google searches,
and meticulously read through almost all of the search-results that came up
in all cases - and now, by sheer serendipity, you are presenting me with
this thing that I somehow have managed to miss entirely...
Does this sound like a nice learning experience to you?
This is the issue at hand - it's a documentation/organisational issue, not
a technical one. I wouldn't know what to answer about the technical stuff -
I would expect there to be much more knowledgeable people than me on these
issue that would have much better answers than what I would be able to come
up with... I just would like to have had such people oriented towards
documenting this, or at the very least have some topic, or even a 'mention'
about this in this user-group. If nothing else, so people would know that
there is something in the works, and not be working independently on their
own implementation, completely blind to what is going on with this. The
lack of exposure about this is generating a acumen out of which
duplication-of-efforts emerge - this is inefficient.
The same goes for research-resources that are duplicated and wasted - I'm
sure I am not the only one who has gone through this research.
There needs to be better management and effort-synchronization, as well as
better transparency about "things that are in the works", and a centralized
'go-to' place for looking such-things up. A section in the main web2py
website, for example, a news-feed, an rss, a mailing-newsletter, I don't
know, "something"... The book is awesome  but it's a reference-manual, and
it's already way too long - more than 600 pages on a PDF...
And it is not updaed as often as things come-up - it's the wrong tool for
the job - there needs to be more kinds of documentation-options,
some-of-which should be much more frequently updating.