+1 for considering web2py.js as a part of web2py framework, so users should
be requested to update it along with the framework.

How about extending this definition and requirement to appadmin..?

Also - what happens with old apps that have ancient jquery.js? Will new
web2py.js cause a chain of upgrades for such users, ie. requires new
jquery.js -> requires new 3rd party js libs -> requires code adjustments in
the application?

I guess now would be a good time to try out old vanilla welcome apps with
new web2py/web2py.js... I really hate suggesting such things rather than
doing them, but I'm up to ears in a project that's on the deadline so I
have very little free time right now :/

Regards,
Ales