Maybe just a check sum on file that should be update after an upgrade could
allow to display a message in admin and maybe if the files to be updated
have the sum of one of the precedent file mean that the user has didn't
change anything those file could be overwritten whitout issue... I would
prefer updating them manually even if they had not be modify and only be
inform that they should be update...

Richard