I was just thinking that some users might have their own functions mixed
together with web2py functions in web2py.js and might not wish to extricate
their work and save it elsewhere.

To overcome that,  make a completely different file to be the framework
file. I suggested web2py_framework.js but could be any name.  We could then
load that new file directly after web2py.js and override the original
framework functions with the new versions.  At least users would then
hopefuilly get a working version of their own functions and a working
version of web2py_framework.js without any effort.  We specify exactly
which functions can be safely removed from web2py.js at the users' leisure.

And yes,  we could also do this by overriding the functions conditionally
and then leave users the choice as to whether they want the original
version of the web2py.js or the new framework one,  but there's not much
point in over-complicating it.  Users that care will review their js code.

The thing I like about web2py_framework.js is that it would be a completely
new file,  without any user code,  so we could then ask everyone never to
touch that file.