Hi Paolo, as a C programming, PC-using hardware engineer bumbling around in
Linux-land I came across this sequence of commands:

wget http://web2py.googlecode.com/hg/scripts/setup-web2py-ubuntu.sh
chmod +x setup-web2py-ubuntu.sh
sudo ./setup-web2py-ubuntu.sh

So whatever it does that is what I have installed. The webserver is Apache.
I first ran this install a year or so ago and it was all working fine until
I had some database locking problems when using the Scheduler so I tried to
upgrade Web2py to see if it fixed it. However I kept getting tickets and
couldn't work out what was wrong, so I reran the above commands,
which presumably re-installed everything, and it all sprang into life - but
with the file editing problem currently under discussion.

The RPi is running Debian, but not the latest version as I didn't want to
change anything that was working at the time. Maybe I should update now.

Hope this helps, Richard.