> Compatible with what?

With any web2py feature expecting entity keys (web2py records) with integer
ids.

But you would know that you don't need those functionalities if you would
> decide to use a key_name

I think this is usually called a "corner case". I would't add the feature
for the purpose for storing entities by name since it does not require much
coding to implement it per-application using the gae api.