I found this on Stack Overflow

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16214326/bootstrap-dropdown-with-hover

ul.nav li.dropdown:hover ul.dropdown-menu {
   display: block;
}

and I find this solution using CSS in the .css file under welcome named

static/css/web2py_bootstrap_nojs.css but not in any other css file.

However this file is not included by another file anywhere in the welcome
application.

If this is it I just got lucky is all. :-)

The Welcome application name header is scrunched up under the menu bar and
partially visible lastest Firefox Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

The web2py menu item (yellow) doesn't open like in 2.8.2

Ron