For what it's worth, it seems that this discussion revolves around the
technology rather than the process.  The repository is almost a mute
point.  Things are bound to change as the technology improves.  A
excellent example of this is Google Wave (video available at
http://wave.google.com).  It would be a wonderful platform for this
with concurrent editing, revision playback, automated posting to blogs
and an API, but it won't be available for several months.

What I believe we need to do is structure the need and try to get a
person to be the subject matter expert (SME) for each sub-heading (to
be determined).  The SME would take responsibility for the initial
documentation for that sub-heading.  The logical thing to do would be
to put this in 'context' meaning create 'actors' that interact with
the web2py system (example: SQLForm, CRUD, Controller, etc.), create
the 'Goals' that each one accomplishes (example: CRUD provides a
simple way to create add, update and delete forms) and for each of
these goals, how each is accomplished - including examples.

This would accomplish several things.  First, we would have a
structure that is well defined, expandable and manageable.  Second,
the SME's would create the initial version, watch for new discussions/
developments and incorporate them into the documentation.  This also
addresses the misperception that web2py is a 'one man show'.  Third,
as changes occur in the product, only the 'how' needs to be amended to
reflect the 'best practice' (unless the goals change).  I'm sure there
are more.

Unfortunately, creation of Actors, Goals are "How to's" can be
difficult to define and may require a core group to implement, but
once they are in place, volunteers to me SME's can be solicited and
the basics put into place.  Even if the the initial product is
'lacking', other SME's can improve the 'final' product.