Anthony:

Would you be willing to share specific information about web2py testing
approaches.

I plan on starting a web2py project early next year and would like to use a
TDD approach.

What do you suggest?

Have fun,

Joe

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Anthony <abasta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there is a confusion between third party *services* and third
> party *tools*. web2py has absolutely no problem accessing third party
> APIs (such as Google Analytics), and this will be exactly the same as you
> would handle things in other frameworks. The comment you found on SO has
> nothing to do with accessing external APIs. Instead, it refers to some
> complications that arise specifically when using third party unit testing
> tools due to the way web2py executes application code. In any case, that
> comment vastly overstates the difficulty. There are several recipes and
> existing libraries for doing testing in web2py, and once you understand how
> it works, it is not difficult to deal with (though admittedly not quite as
> straightforward as testing in other frameworks). Of course, there are many
> other areas in which web2py will make your life much easier.
>
> Anthony
>

> On Sunday, November 9, 2014 11:38:59 PM UTC-5, WhoSoLovesUs wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I'm in the beginning stages of building my app.
>>
>> One of the most important things it will do is connect to 3rd party
>> services via their APIs (e.g. Google Analytics)
>>
>> I ran into a disconcerting comment on this stackoverflow thread
>> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3646002/django-turbo-gears-web2py-which-is-better-for-what>
>> .
>>
>> To quote Mike A's comment
>> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3646002/django-turbo-gears-web2py-which-is-better-for-what#comment8500264_3648273>
>> :
>>
>> web2py has many good features, but be very wary of the global environment
>>> which becomes a real pain after a short time. It makes interacting with
>>> third-party tools like test-runners very difficult. Django is much more
>>> mature, being older than web2py, and has a much larger community and number
>>> of installations.
>>

>> Can anyone here comment on this? Not being a programmer myself, I need
>> some more information about what this exactly means and why Mike would be
>> of this opinion.
>>
>> Thanks :)
>>
>  --
> Resources:
> - http://web2py.com
> ---
> "web2py-users" group.

Joe Simpson
*"All that is gold does not glitter,**Not all those who wander are lost;**The
old that is strong does not wither,*
*Deep roots are not reached by the frost."  J. R.R. Tolkien*