I'm using we2py in production to serve about 15 websites, each one of them
is served by it's own web2py installation.

I want to clean up expired sessions every certain amount of time. To do
that, I create a file under /etc/cron.d/ for every website. The file has
the following content:

MAILTO=root
*/60 * * * www-data nohup python /var/www/mywebsite/web2py.py -S init   -M -R
/var/www/mywebsite/scripts/sessions2trash.py -A -o
*/60 * * * www-data nohup python /var/www/mywebsite/web2py.py -S panel  -M -R
/var/www/mywebsite/scripts/sessions2trash.py -A -o

As you can see, the cleaning is executed one per hour. I'm using two lines
for each websites, because each website has two web2py applications
running: "init" and "panel", so I clean up sessions of both of them.

The problem is that, if I activate those lines in cron configuration, every
time they are executed I can see that memory usage of my sever goes "to the
sky" (memory is all used and the server starts to swap), also the CPU load
increases considerably, and during about 5 o 10 minutes, all the websites
throw errors.

If I execute those lines manually, they execute and finish instantly. I
mean, there aren't too much sessions to cleanup, so the cleaning takes no
more than a few seconds.  So I don't understand why the same process isn't
working when called from cron. Any tip on this? Thanks in advance!