On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 12:02:12 AM UTC-7, Dave S wrote:

> On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 3:38:27 PM UTC-7, Dave S wrote:
>>
>> In  my 2.15.x testing, I've been concentrating on the https interface,
>> but I now tried to do a -M -S that would queue up a Scheduler task.  And I
>> ran into an unexpected problem with syntax errors on print statements.
>>
>>    if when:
>>       print "ri_s: when " + when
>>
>> Even when I shorten the line to remove the concatenation, I get a syntax
>> error:
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "web2py.py", line 33, in <module>
>>     gluon.widget.start(cron=True)
>>   File "/home/ec2-user/web2py/web2py-2.15.4/web2py/gluon/widget.py",
>> line 1152, in start
>>     cronjob=options.cronjob)
>>   File "/home/ec2-user/web2py/web2py-2.15.4/web2py/gluon/shell.py", line
>> 258, in run
>>     execfile(pyfile, _env)
>>   File "applications/updater/controllers/default.py", line 140
>>     print "ri_s: when "
>>                       ^
>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>
>> I tried changing the variable name to "pwhen" in case this was an
>> if-statement/keyword issue, but still "invalid syntax".
>>
>> As you might guess, default.py loads fine for https requests, and this
>> code loads fine with -S under 2.14.6, so I'm not sure what's going on here.
>>

> Changing the print statements to logger calls allows the  -S load to
> complete, but I don't think anything went to web2py.log from these calls
> (logging calls used when handling http(s) requests seem to be working
> normally).
>
> Plus, when you're running from the command line (as is often the case for
> -S), it's irritating to have to go to the log for what is ordinarily stdout
> material.
>
> /dps

I think I've found the cause:  in 2.15.4, gluon/shell.py  has the line

from __future__ import print_function

I have an "add_user.py" script picked up some time ago from the group,
which I was running with -S, and the print statements were getting syntax
errors.  Changing

print "..."

print ("...")

fixed things.  I haven't gone to my other system to see if that would fix
the module from the original post.

/dps