You seems to have found good information...

I don't have much time to investigate that subject and realize it could be
quite complexe...

And involve security issue :
https://www.nginx.com/resources/wiki/start/topics/tutorials/config_pitfalls/

Although, I thought that you might have a read that code base of apps like
these listing :

https://opensource.com/life/15/12/5-open-source-web-apps-self-hosted

This kind of apps surely had to workaround large file issue that you have...

Richard