Ok, I've gotten web2py working with the way I want.

Part of the problem is is needed to have:

<input type="hidden" name="_formname" value="msqlform" />

then in the .html a formname assigned in the controller.

Everything is now shiny again ....

*Ben Duncan*
DBA / Chief Software Architect
Mississippi State Supreme Court