I don't understand the use of field 'groups' and function 'get_groups()

I think you should use web2py's built in auth_ functionality: drop field
'groups' in both tables, link users and groups (each hotel its own group)
in the auth_membership table, and use this table to create a list of options
for the drop-down.

I hope this points you in the right direction to solve your problem

Kind regards,

Annet