On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:

> I want to add something to this. I envision many different types of
> plugins and combinations thereof:
>
> 1) some plugin may expose a controller action

Do you mean a plugin may contain a controller?

> 2) some may expose more than one controller action

A controller's interface may include controllers - what are the rules?  Can
it redirect to use an app view?  Must it contain it's own matching views?
How will this happen?

> 3) some will act on axisting db

How will a plugin that is used by more than one app know the db?  How will
it prevent its own tables from accidentally conflicting with an apps?  What
are the needed rules / constraints for this?

> 4) some will have their own db

How will a plugin's db be created?  IN the case where manual creation is
needed, how will plugin installation handle this?  What is needed here?

> 5) some will act on existing tables

How will data integrity be assured for such plugins?  (I can think of a
malicious plugin doing nasty things, or a sloppy one doing even worse)?

> 6) some will define their own tables

In what db?  What are the rules?  How does the app now?  How will the app
know wich tables belong to the plugin?

> 7) some will keep those tables private

Private from users?  Private from app (how)?

> 8) some will expose those tables to the rest of the app
>

> 9) some may just define a new helper or widget for forms
> 10) some may just define a new layout
> 11) some may just contain static files
> 12) some my just contain python modules
> 13) some may expose internal variables, for example to a CMS app
>
> So for me a plugin is not always an isolated entity.

I will not go on - this is an example, and I invite everyone from the
community to consider the same sorts of questions, but "is not isolated"
begs "is it modular?"  and introduces all sorts of nasty potential problems
due to coupling.

This then begs the question - should it be a plugin? or a component (e.g.
part of the app, and not pluggable, due to application coupling).

This is a shopping list which needs some reasonable constraints first, I
think, or it will not be implementable in any clean way.

I think this list is still too fuzy, and needs to be made more crisp.  It
may be that we're talking about 2 or 3 separate "systems" here (e.g. plugin,
and ....)

Keep talking about it.

- Yarko