On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 23:56 -0600, Thadeus Burgess wrote:
> I am a young programmer. The thought of managing a semi-large
> application seems a bit... daunting to me. I was hoping some older
> programmers, and those with experience managing projects that were
> either large, or had multiple developers work on, could share some
> insights with me.
>
> Here are some of my larger questions. These mostly pertain to working
> in a corporate environment, either in a multi-developer or
> single-developer. The kind of stuff they don't teach you in school.
>
> With a large project, how do you handle the tracking of bugs ? I
> figure this can be broken up into two areas. The first being tracking
> bugs caught by developers. These are bugs that are in the current
> development trunk. How are these bugs handled, between developers? The
> second are bugs that make it into the release version, bugs that get
> reported by the end users, how are these bugs
> tracked/handled/communicated? Usually I just keep a simple text file
> with a list of what needs to be done, and current bugs, but this has
> gotten out of hand.
It really depends on the company you work with.  Some of common bug
trackers like Bugzilla, some have a sheet of paper they hand you with a
list of bugs to fix.  It really depends on your manager and how he
works.  Some are technical, some are not.  I personally feel that a wiki
is the absolute minumum thing to use.  That way people working on bugs
or features can post there progress there easily without passing emails
to the wholeworld over and over.

> Now when dealing with multiple developers on the same project, how are
> tasks delegated to the respective individual, and how is each
> individuals status tracked?
Again, depends, both on the feature/bug, or the manager that you work
with.  The project tasks should be given by the manager, but sometimes
you have to work with your other teammates to find what is best for the
team and you pick what you want and so do the other devs.

> Any other insights gained with the management of software projects I
> would greatly appreciated!
Remember version control, if you don't know that your really in trouble.
It's very important to use version control even if there is one of you.
Also, remember that you, as a beginner maynot be able to do it, but work
hard and do your best, when I worked at one place, I had HUGE tasks in
front of me, but with some heavy research I was able to figure it out.
Don't be afraid to tell your boss the truth before the big update
meeting of your status and that you are having trouble.  It builds a
trust and makes you more predictable when YOU update with the boss.

> On the notes with bug tracking, I know there are systems (like trac,
> bugzilla, etc) out there... are these a solution that you would use in
> a corporate environment? And how would you "use" these tools?
bugzilla is very heavily used in both open and closed software.  I know
many video game companies that actually use it.