on version control

Usually I check-in at the end of each day, each file separately
(documenting the changes in each module). If you work together with
other people you will have to see that your check-in does not break
things. Because of that you might not check-in one or the other thing
at the end of the day (others depend on working dev version!) but
things are checked in when they are fairly stable.

Do not use version control for synchronizing, e.g. you code on you
local machine and write code for a server, so whenever you change 2
lines of code you want to see if they work and you do a local check-in
and an update on the server. For this you can use a sync tool like
rsync or unison.

My rule of thumb is. In the morning and update of all file. In the
evening a check-in of all changes.