Well on my Win7 setup with source distribution of web2py I can confirm
that @reboot cron lines do not run when I start up web2py. The same
cron line with a normal time declaration does run just fine.

#...@reboot does not run
@reboot *       *       *       *       root *reboot/on_reboot
#But with normal time syntax runs just fine
0-59/5 *        *       *       *       root *reboot/on_reboot

As far as spaces in file path names affecting things, I'd need more
specific information about what is in people's crontab files. When I
was trying to test @reboot I purposely stuck web2py in a path that
contained spaces and didn't seem to have any problems. Normally within
python scripts I use os.path.join() to build up my file paths so that
I don't have to worry about the slashes - os.path.join('C:\',
'Documents and Settings', 'Username', 'My Documents', 'folder', 'sub
folder', 'file.txt') works just fine.

Also in my crontab, I could execute a non-web2py python script with

0-59/2  *       *       *       *       root python
"C:\Users\Brian\Documents\some project
\scripts\some_script.py" >> cron.log

On Windows you do need to add the python executable to your path if
you don't want to always have to type C:\Python26\python.exe script.py
- for some reason the windows python installer doesn't do it
automatically. If you don't know already, here's how...

Win7:
Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties"
On the left side click the "Advanced System Settings" link.
Go to the "Advanced" tab
Click on the "Environment Variables" button at the bottom.
In the "System Variables" section (the bottom one), scroll down to
"Path" and click once to highlight.  (If you want it only for your
use, add it to the user variables. You'll need to add a new "Path"
variable)
Click the "Edit..." button.
In the "Variable value" field, add ";C:\Python26\" on to the end -
without the quotes, the semi-colon is the separator between the
multiple entries. (If you're using Python 2.5 then use C:\Python25)
Click "OK" three times to get rid of all the windows.

WinXP:
Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties"
Go to the "Advanced" tab.
Follow the rest of the instructions above.
Same as above

~Brian