OK, just pulled latest trunk out of the google code hg repo and
@reboot seems to be working on Win7 - actually it's working a bit too
good. Not only does it run on web2py startup, but it CONTINUES to run
once a minute from then on!

 I did notice that I had the @reboot crontab syntax wrong earlier. It
is supposed to be just

@reboot root    *mycontroller/myfunction

and NOT

 @reboot *       *       *       *       root *mycontroller/myfunction

as I had tried before. (BTW, the incorrect syntax is shown at the
bottom of the docs page - http://web2py.com/examples/default/cron.
Though the correct form is towards the top of the same page). If you
use that syntax, you get an error message at the console:
    invalid application name: testing/    *    *    *default/
on_reboot.

~Brian