+1 for anti-brute-forcing
-1 for having to edit a pickled file to remove the offending IP.

Surely you guys have used a broken keyboard before and typed in a password 10 times before realizing that your keyboard is broken.

I recommend locking it out for a time period. You could add a value to the cache for that specific IP address and put an expiration on it. So long as the cache has not lockout value for that IP, then let it login.

-tim