What I was thinking was something we use in the gaming world, called a
console variable, you can specify their values in code, in a config
file, through an in app interface, or through the command line.

In web2py terms, I was thinking to make a global singleton that when
first instantiated would scan sys.argv for things that looked like
command arguments in the form of +Key Value or +Key=Value and then
parse that to a global vs appliation level dict IE:
+welcome.banner="Hello" vs +admin.banner "Hola" vs banner="hi" when an
application queries the system, it would exec request.env.web2py_path
+ appliation which would look like:

convars = ConVars()
convars.database_string = "sqlite://file.sql"
convars.debug = 1
convars.arbitrarysettinghere = 2

further dragging in new variables and overriding those that are on the
command line.  (This last distinction is open to debate as it could be
considered easier to change a file than to change the command line.)
There would also be a global level file to be read that can just
define all known variables and their defaults.  Finally a database
table could be defined and a controller set that would represent the
final most dynamic version of the config that can be updated in real
time.

A db or controller could then invoke it like
convars = ConVars(request)
if convars.debug:
    # Handle debug case