Aside from the config issue, a flag when packaging that does not
package the database/ folder, would be the long missing piece. And
when this flag is available, I think I can have my own databases/
my_config.py to solve the local config problem in my style. :-)

So +1 for the "flag when packaging that does not package the database/
folder".