Please don't even try to imagine a graphic designer that would turn
abstract ideas like Stability and Ease of use into a useful graphic.
That's impossible. In reality, it's the reverse. You have a memorable
image that you can associate with the qualities you discover in a
product. And only then does the image 'obtain' those qualities.

Does a 3-pointed star represents German high-precision engineering,
and luxury? I doubt that. Yet, Benz is using that shape. And people
have come to associate those qualities with exactly the kind of
3-pointed star Benz uses, and no other. You can put just any kind of
3-pointed star on your car and expect it to look well-made and
comfortable. It only works if it's the Mercedes-Benz 3-pointed star.

When Arch Linux community had it's logo design contest, we run into
this very problem: discussion about the qualities that a logo should
represent. And, of course, you can't find those qualities in the logo
that's currently being used unless you've associated them with the
image yourself. But the discussion dragged on for days, and the whole
community was divided in a flame war. There were even some
'professionals' who claimed a logo really can speak 1000 words. That's
so far from truth. You'd really have to draw a painting of a logo to
pull that off.

So, what are the notable exceptions to the above? Concrete imagery. In
other words, mascots. And only those mascots that have some root in
the culture. Lions, Tigers, Crane, Frogs, etc. Those animals have
traditionally lots of characteristics associated with them. So using
such images definitely can tell a story. What about that ship? Well,
it's a 50-50 bet.

To some it may speak, to others it may not. And here's a good test of
this. How many of you had the following ideas when seeing that ship:

* Ability to carry a huge amount of load: scalability
* A graceful voyage across a vast ocean: stability
* Took a lot of manpower to build: great community

How many of you got those ideas upon seeing it? I suspect most had
other thoughts. I seriously doubt there is a unified and universal
graphical language that you can use reliably to relay abstract
messages. IOW: Graphic design still hasn't got it's HTTP. ;)

So, before this turns into a pointless discussions, let's just stop
wasting time on abstract ideas. Stability, Speed, Scalability, et al.
those are for the product itself to achieve, not the logo. Logo can be
colorful, sharp, cute, dull, crap... Let's focus on what the logo CAN
be, please.