I got this basically working with the following setup:

web2py source, Version 1.88.2
PythonCE-2.5-20061219-source.zip from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonce/files/
Windows Mobile 5

web2py starts up ok (logger complains about not finding a handle for
"web2py")
I can get a sqllite 3 database running, define tables, insert and
select, html is rendered, etc.

There are 2 places where I'm getting a MemoryError exception. The
first is when running 'from gluon.tools import *' in db.py.
The second is when an error ticket is generated: clicking on it
generates another error ticket in the admin package when it tries to
run 'from markdown2 import *' in the file '\\web2py_src\\gluon\\contrib
\\markdown\\__init__.py'