Thank you Jonathan,

that solved the upgrade problem.

Problem was that I did the 'chown -R apache:web2py *' command in the web2py directory but that doesn't include the directory itself. So when Apache tried to download the new version of web2py it could not write it to harddisk. Sorry for this beginners mistake.

But the problem with creating a new application stays.

Kenneth